The Basic Skills Steering Committee is an Administrative Governance Council participatory governance committee comprised of representation from Continuing Education faculty, administration, and staff. The Basic Skills Initiative (BSI) pilot studies, current Action Plan, are significant instructional efforts at CE and will be presented to the system office as a component of the Phase 1 work. The pilot studies are at different locations, each with its unique structure, students, and time lines. This committee was formed to be the central location where issues could be raised and decisions could be made to address the needs across all the pilots/basic skills implementation.
- Dean, Student Development & Matriculation.
Chair is selection and length of term is at the discretion of the Vice President, Instructional and Student Services.
- Vice President, Instructional and Student Services;
- Dean, Career Technical Education;
- Dean, ESL;
- Dean, Matriculation;
- Dean, Basic Skills/High School, and 6 faculty members.
- Provide coordinating leadership for the Basic Skills Action Plan implementation.
- Address the need for a more coordinated effort to oversee all the pilot studies and thereby ensure that issues that arise this are dealt with in an effective and timely manner.
- Provide sustained communication between the impacted deans and faculty
- Provide updates to the Executive Governance Council (EGC)on a regular basis and
- Produce a report regarding the pilot studies/action plan implementation and next steps for CE.
- Review the “6” (all implementation) pilot efforts—timelines, responsible parties
- BASIC SKILLS @ ECC – DAY
- BASIC SKILLS @ ECC – NIGHT
- BASIC SKILLS @ WEST CITY – DAY
- BASIC SKILLS @ MID CITY-DAY
- BASIC SKILLS @ CENTRE CITY- DAY
- BASIC SKILLS @ CHAVEZ -DAY
- Address specific issues that need immediate action
- Assign responsibilities of tasks to be accomplished by next meeting
Currently, there is a two-hour meeting every three to four weeks as a steering committee. Each of the pilot teams, however, meets more frequently, typically at least once every 2 weeks. Meeting minutes will be posted. Meeting agendas and minutes will be posted on the Continuing Education web page at http://gov.sdce.edu/.